Founded in 1968 The Diarmuid O’Mathuna GAA club, which is based in the Castletown-Kenneigh
/Coppeen area of Enniskeane in Cork, was named after Jeremiah O’Mahony, who was a local man
involved in the fight for Irish freedom and was accidentally killed on the 5 th of March 1921. The club
first entered West Cork hurling and football championships in 1969 and they had their first taste of
championship success in 1974 when they won the junior 2 hurling championship. They had to wait
until 1995 for football success, winning the junior B West Cork championship and the county
championship that year.
They purchased Castletown-Kenneigh school in 1971 and it was converted to a community centre.
The dream of purchasing a playing field was realised in 1980 and there were various stages in the
expansion and development of those grounds over the following twenty years. The current facilities
include one full size playing pitch, a training pitch, ball alley and dressing rooms.
The golden era of success on the playing field started in 2000 with the winning of the county minor A
hurling championship, followed in 2001 with the winning of the West Cork junior A hurling
championship for the first time. They won four hurling titles over the next decade and in 2012 won
another county junior B football title. They are currently competing at junior A level in both hurling
and football in West Cork.